SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPY
Versatile analysis methods are available to us with scanning electron microscopy. In this way we obtain information on the surface with high magnification and a large depth of field. We use this information for the analysis of the material characteristics, the analysis of inclusions and adhesions, fractographic evaluation of fracture surfaces, as well as particle analysis as per VDA 19/19.1.
APPLICATIONS AND ANALYSIS OPTIONS
Analysis of microstructures during research on materials for electronic components and medical products, e.g. for the formation of surface structures on dental implants and prosthetic joints.
- High magnifications (>20,000x)
- Analysis of surface structures
- Verification of adhering contamination
- Determination of element composition (EDX analysis)
High-resolution depiction of surfaces of samples or fracture structures as part of damage analysis:
- Depiction sensitive to the surface or material
- Depiction of flaws, deposits or surface anomalies
- Depiction of fracture surfaces for the analysis of the force or fatigue fracture failure mode
- Depiction and analysis of corrosion damage
- Characterisation of signs of wear
DETERMINATION OF CHEMICAL COMPOSITION (EDX ANALYSIS)
For the characterisation of the chemical element composition of materials and inclusions, we use energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX):
- Identification of foreign-matter inclusions in materials
- Verification and identification of contamination on component surfaces
- Verification of corrosive substances on components
- Colour depiction of the individual elements as well as their distribution on the surface
- Quantitative analysis of the individual elements
MORPHOLOGICAL AND CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF PARTICLES
We analyse particles and foreign-matter inclusions for their morphological and chemical characteristics:
- Analysis of metallic and mineral particles as well as nano particles
- Morphological analysis of the particles
- Determination of the particle size as well as the particle distribution
- Determination of the chemical element composition (EDX analysis)
- Determination of the damage behaviour
- Fully automatic particle analysis using Smart PI as per the standards ISO 16232 and VDA 19/19.1/19.2
At Quality Analysis we have a total of four scanning electron microscopes from ZEISS for various applications:
- ZEISS EVO 15
- ZEISS MA 25
- ZEISS SUPRA 40 VP
- ZEISS CROSSBEAM 350 L
We primarily use the ZEISS EVO MA 25 and EVO 15 for fully automatic particle in the context of technical cleanliness verification. Both units are equipped with three different detectors as well as an EDX detector for the determination of element compositions.
We use the ultra-high-resolution scanning electron microscope ZEISS Supra 40 VP for a broad palette of applications in the area of metallography and damage analysis, semiconductor technology, medical technology, nano technology and electric mobility. This unit is equipped with four different detectors and an EDX detector for X-ray microanalysis.
The ZEISS CROSSBEAM 350 L is a field-emission scanning electron microscope with a focussed ion beam and a femtosecond laser. We use this state-of-the-art, specialised unit for high-resolution imaging in the area of electronics manufacture and the semiconductor industry.